high-centered pedal lyre

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Thu Feb 1 03:14:05 MST 2007

    The pedal lyre on a brand-new 7-ft. Baldwin got torn off on
stage in a high school auditorium and I figured it was the usual
case of janitors and students treating pianos like boxcars or
baggage carts.  So I ordered a new top mounting block to replace
the split one, plugged and re-drilled holes, glued other
splintered wood back together, re-mounted the lyre, regulated
pedals and dang if two weeks later it didn't happen again!
I was livid until they explained to me that there were high
spots in the concrete floor of the stage, and not the students'
fault -- they didn't know, and the bottom of the pedal box had
barely any clearance above the floor.
    So I ended up having to shave down the mounting block (the
top member of the lyre) on a jointer, and had to cut the pedal
rods a little shorter and relocated the braces.  The stuff you
run into!
    --David Nereson, RPT