More comic relief

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Thu Feb 1 03:14:08 MST 2007

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
[mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org]On Behalf Of
PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com
  Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:53 PM
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Subject: More comic relief

  Aside from the middle C wippen flange (or a tenor string)
breaking on a 60 year old Acrosonic as you're trying out the
piano after fine tuning it and are ready to leave and go home
for the evening, here are my list of most annoying things in
this business. How many can YOU think of?
  Housewives taking 5 minutes to answer the door when you're
ringing the bell (always in mid January)
  Can't find a parking spot (big cities like NYC only)
  Customers that don't show up
  Competing with vacuum cleaners
  Competing with leaf-blowing machines in November ;
        lawnmowers in the summer
  Little children screaming
  Big dogs jumping all over you, little dogs barking each time
you make a move
  Grandfather and cuckoo clocks going off every 15 minutes
  "My husband took the check book. Can I mail it to you?"
  "The last tuner charged me only $25 for a tune-up."
          Yeah, that was in 1968.
   It's 90 degrees outside, 100 in the house, and the customer
is too cheap to put on the air conditioner.
        I bought a small fan, which I keep in the car
and bring into the house if needed.
  Dead mouse in piano.
      Or 3 or 4, plus a huge nest filling the entire keybed, and
entire bags of dogfood transported piece by piece into the
piano.
  Piano needs everything, especially a complete action rebuild.
"My children just started taking lessons,
  so make it just good enough for a beginner."
       "Do you want an old wrecked jalopy to take driving
lessons in?  A crippled horse on which to take riding lessons?"
  New customer says, over the phone, "I think it's a Yamaha."
You get there and it's a Russian piano, vintage 1978!

  Jesse Gitnik
  NYC
  Tech since 1980

  Oh, it goes on and on.  I'm sure you know.
      --David Nereson, RPT