Breaking strengths / percents

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Feb 1 08:05:34 MST 2007

Thanks Jurgen.

Pure sound supplies a table of breaking strengths for both Pure sound
and standard piano wire, along with a few others from Malcom Rose.  I'm
just trying to back engineer a bit of some of these formulas tossed
around in publications so as to ascertain exactly what these were saying.

For example... in the Calculating Technician the maximum safe tension
for standard wire is 0.557*d^1.667  (d is diameter in mils). If you have
a 1.5 mm Ø wire (circa 59 mils) you get  0.557*897 lbs = 498 lbs maximum
safe.

Now... this looks to me like 897 lbs is the breaking strength used
here... and 55.7% of that is figured as maximum safe..  If that is so
then  we have 406 kg breaking strength for modern wire according to this
formula.  But looking at Pure Sounds table for breaking strength of
modern wire he has 370 kilograms.  Thats quite a difference really.  If
thats not enough confusion... Delecour handed out a lookup table for a
spreadsheet a while back which has this same 1.5 wire (59 mils) at 276
kilos.

I suppose I could just contrive a formula from any given data set like
Pure Sounds page. For example if you take a 1 mm (39.37 mils) and figure
the exponent needed for 39.37 mils to arrive at the 369.5 lbs that Pure
sound gives you simply take   x = ln369.5 / ln39.37 , which is
1.609622688.  But then if you use that for the rest of the table it
doesnt add up.  So the breaking strengths that Pure Sound gives can not
be figured by this kind of formula... ie.  a^x = b.

Point is that if you are anywhere near maximum breaking strengths given
by one table for one type of wire... you may very well be well over the
limit on somebody elses table.  Kinda makes depending on the
calculations of spreadsheets a bit iffy until you have reliable figures
yes ?

Cheers
RicB

    Ric-
    I don't have a formula, but I do have a table with all the breaking
    strengths of Pure Sound Wire from # 7 through # 25.  Would that be
    helpful?  What sizes are you working with?

    Jurgen Goering
    Piano Forte Supply
    (250) 754-2440
    info at pianofortesupply.com