Ronsen Bacon felt

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Thu Feb 1 11:48:39 MST 2007

>> Dale gets my full agreement on his use of the Ronsen hammer with
>> Bacon felt.  I just completed a change of hammers on a Yamaha
>> S-400B using the Bacon felt and I believe it is one of the most
>> beautiful sounding instruments I have ever heard.  I would welcome
>> any of my colleagues to hear this piano.
>> The only thing I have done to the felt is to give the hammers a
>> hard shaping and the tone is spectacular.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bruce Stevens

Wow. Coming from you, Bruce, that's high praise.  My partner, Steve
Bellieu, heard and played a Steinway "B" you had remanufactured/
rebuilt and said it was among the best he'd ever put his hands on. If
you know Steve, you know that's almost unheard-of praise from him. We
will try a set of the Ronsen Bacon in our next project, a 1948
American "B".....

My only question with "soft" hammers is that my artist clients seem
to need a certain kinesthetic "pop" when the note is struck to feel
comfortable that the piano is projecting properly, and sometimes
mellow, dark, more fundamental-sounding pianos, pianos set up and
voiced in a "softer" mode, do not give that "pop" that makes the
player feel good.

Does that make any sense? It's something I work with all the time in
preparing pianos for recording----I want the piano to sound clear at
every volume, and brilliant, even piercing at high volume, because I
know the artist needs to hear/feel a certain "attack sense" through
his/her fingers to feel right. The balance between clarity and force
of attack and throaty, golden singing tone is a constant challenge in
recording and performance. Preparing and voicing a piano for
intimate, near-field recording AND great sound in the house is a big
challenge for me, and I'm looking for soft high-compression hammers,
I guess. I wish Renner could give me a truly soft set of their best
Wurzen hammers....Baldassin and I have talked about this a lot.

I'll have a CD of some tracks from  the last two Atelier concerts for
all you lucky dudes and dudettes who are coming to the California
State PTG Conference in San Francisco next week. You'll give me your
feedback, and we'll yap yap yap about hammers and voicing and
recording and whatever.

Best,
David Andersen