Ronsen Bacon felt

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Feb 2 02:27:59 MST 2007

Mark/David/Dale:

The quandary of how the piano sounds at the bench versus in the audience is
not uncommon.  Concert instruments in largish halls often don't sound that
good from the bench because they must be set up in order to project to the
back row of the auditorium.  Inexperienced pianists sometimes don't know how
to deal with this.  The answer, therefore, depends on the primary purpose
for the piano.  In this case, I would leave well enough alone.  In the
church the primary audience are those out in the church, not the pianist,
and the voice of the piano should be set up with them in mind.  Pianists who
might find the voice too edgy should be addressed by reminding them who the
piano was set up for.  Were the piano in your living room where you the
player are the primary audience, I would have considered a different hammer,
different voicing outcome or both.

produce the "pop" you are seeking-at least not on the pianos you are working
with.  On a soundboard designed with a very light string and rib scale you
could get that kind of pop out this hammer.  On a more traditional style SB
assembly you won't, at least not without some juicing which somewhat defeats
the purpose of using that hammer to begin with.   As someone who targets a
warmer, somewhat darker sound as my default setting, the hammer generally is
a good choice for my needs.  The somewhat firmer Ronsen Wurzen accomplishes
what I want with slightly heavier assemblies, scale tensions or when I need
a bit more projection.  Occasionally, a firmer hammer than that might be
called for on a heavy assembly with a high tension scale (such as a concert
instrument) or in a large hall where the attack needs to be even sharper.
In those cases I'm inclined to choose the Abel Select or Renner depending on
the piano.  I don't believe in a one hammer fits all approach.  I prefer to
choose the hammer which most closely achieves my target with the least
amount of manipulation.  That is not going to be the same hammer for every
application.  The dictates of the venue which outline the tonal target
combined with the particulars of each soundboard and string scale will
determine selection.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com