Ronsen Bacon felt

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Feb 2 08:33:11 MST 2007

On Feb 2, 2007, at 1:27 AM, David Love wrote:
likely produce the “pop” you are seeking—at least not on the pianos
you are working with.  On a soundboard designed with a very light
string and rib scale you could get that kind of pop out this hammer.
On a more traditional style SB assembly you won’t, at least not
without some juicing which somewhat defeats the purpose of using that
hammer to begin with.   As someone who targets a warmer, somewhat
darker sound as my default setting, the hammer generally is a good
choice for my needs.  The somewhat firmer Ronsen Wurzen accomplishes
what I want with slightly heavier assemblies, scale tensions or when
I need a bit more projection.  Occasionally, a firmer hammer than
that might be called for on a heavy assembly with a high tension
scale (such as a concert instrument) or in a large hall where the
attack needs to be even sharper.  In those cases I’m inclined to
choose the Abel Select or Renner depending on the piano.  I don’t
believe in a one hammer fits all approach.  I prefer to choose the
hammer which most closely achieves my target with the least amount of
manipulation.  That is not going to be the same hammer for every
application.  The dictates of the venue which outline the tonal
target combined with the particulars of each soundboard and string
scale will determine selection.

Thank you, David. I appreciate your excellence in your craft, your
clarity, and your gift for writing.  You'd make a great teacher.
Thanks for your time and energy.

At the Atelier concerts, I'm trying to get a balance between the tone
parameters of the instrument and the beauty of the recording; I'm on
a search for the ideal (to me) recorded piano sound. Stay tuned.

David Andersen