In-floor Radiant heating

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 2 15:33:16 MST 2007

In speaking at length with the Damp-Chaser Tech/engineer a while ago about
something else, he confirmed my suspicion that the heat generated by the Damp-chaser elements
are in-fact radiant heat. And, that the point of the system is to have the mass of the piano at a relatively constant temp all the time.

Radiant in floor heat, heats the objects in the room, not the air.  And it heats them gently...much like the damp-chaser element.

The heating in the floor will be gentle, and the humidity in the structure, assuming the whole building is radiantly heated
(and reasonable tight),  will be much easier on the piano than any other heat source.  As a matter of fact in measuring  EMC in the wood surfaces and furniture as well as the piano in my own house, which has in-floor radiant heat and wooden floors, the EMC never goes below 8%. There is no secondary humidification in my house either...don't need it.

I'd say the piano would be happy in that environment.  The thing to monitor will be the actual RH that this building maintains during the heat cycle.

Jim I