In-floor Radiant Heating

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Feb 2 22:52:08 MST 2007

After reading so many accolades about in floor heating, I have to
respond in agreement with a warning about potential damage to
furniture, pianos, and human health with this kind of heating system
Underfloor heating came into vogue in central Europe a few decades ago,
and there are countless reports of doors no longer closing, antique
furniture falling apart, and sever damage to pianos, all directly
resulting from the heating system.  Essentially, pianos get cooked
standing on a perpetually warm floor.   Tuning instability, loose pins,
cracked boards etc can be the direct result, and as correctly stated,
many piano warranties are voided when the instrument is subjected to
these extreme conditions.

As well, when installed under a carpet, the constant rising warm air
all over the room keeps fine particles of dust and spores airborne,
allegedly causing respiratory problems and aggravating symptoms of
asthma, etc.

I think this type of heating system is great in certain places - the
bathroom, for example.  But not under a piano.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com
http://www.pianofortesupply.com

On Feb 2, 2007, at 20:55, M. Spreeman wrote:

> Although a climate control system installed in the piano will help
> eleviate most potential damage, be advised that some manufacturers,
> Fazioli included, have clauses in the warranty that void coverage of
> soundboard cracks in homes with radiant heat.

                Michael C. Spreeman
http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com