In-floor Radiant Heating

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 3 01:53:37 MST 2007

>From: Jurgen Goering
>
>warning about potential damage to furniture, pianos, and human health with
>this kind of heating system .....
>     Tuning instability, loose pins, cracked boards etc can be the direct
>result

I can confirm that. Here in Germany this kind of heating is quiet common.
Often it´s a killer for old pianos. Newer/modern pianos survive that heat
assault without any damage, but all screws have to be tightened and it
should be tunend twice a year: 4 weeks after the beginning and 4 weeks after
the end of the heating period. It helps a little bit to locate the piano
where is no heating coil and to istall a reflecting foil under the bottom.
And using a humidifier. But all these steps are only a compromise. If a
customer with that kind of heating asks for consultance about buying a piano
I strictly recommend a newer/modern piano. I never ever saw a newer piano
with loose pins or cracked soundboard. I am astonished about how often I
read in this list about loose pins at newer pianos.

Gregor