Ronsen Bacon felt

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Feb 3 10:41:22 MST 2007

In a message dated 2/3/2007 9:33:20 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Bruce.Stevens at verizon.net writes:

Dale,

I agree with Rick's excellent statement: In that perspective I often use the
<<feel>> of the voice. I know thats a loaded concept... but  regardless of
the hows and whys... there is definitely a very real sensation  of touch to
tone.  This is something we don't talk about  enough.
I learned from our friend Bob Davis and Steve Schell that I want a hammer
that passes some sort of a compression test.  As you might recall, Bob
demonstrated (you also might have been teaching with him) a device that he  could
insert a hammer and put the "squeeze" on it.  This should have  made a statement
for anyone who was in the class.
Steve Schell's version of the compression test was a bit simpler to
preformed.  He would take a bass or tenor hammer and put the "bite" on it  by putting
the shoulders of the hammer between his front teeth feeling  the compression
with his jaw when he bit down.  We like to call it the  "bite test".  (Oh, let
me say that the the tongue isn't involved... no  germs! ha)  One conclusion is
have is: Thin Nasty Tone = Rock Hard Hammer  (to the core)!
So many of the hammers manufactured today do not have any real  compression
when I give them the "bit test".  Some may say that you need  this for power.
Maybe (I don't agree).  There is some point at  which the hardness of the
hammer core begins to kill the tone.  Steve and  I have been saying for a long
time: "Hard hammers kill tone".
I agree with David Love's post and consider  his thoughts to be excellent.
David takes us to the reality of  what most technicians do and that is to
service and restore pianos that reside  in homes and not on the concert stage.

My appreciation to all who are talking about this "delicate" but most
important subject.

Bruce Stevens

On Feb 3, 2007, at 7:59 AM, _Erwinspiano at aol.com_