Inharmonicity

Robert Scott robert.scott at tunelab-world.com
Sun Feb 4 04:54:31 MST 2007

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> RicB said: "Inharmonicity is a distinctive characteristic of pianos."
>
> Ric,
> I competely disagree. All instruments have inharmonicity; just less than the piano.
> Joe
Well, not exactly.  A pipe organ does not have any inharmonicity.
Neither does a violin (when it is being bowed).  These instruments
produce true harmonics that are exactly multiples of their fundamentals.
  And some instruments have more inharmonicity than a piano - like for
instance chimes.

Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan