Here's one NOBODY ever heard of

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com
Sun Feb 4 08:37:34 MST 2007

One time I was faced with the problem of some crusty treble damper felts in
an upright that were causing that "zinging" sound when damping the strings. It
 wasn't a sever case, and the felts had to be sanded very lightly with the
finest  grit sandpaper out there. Being that I didn't have any, I used a bit on
ingenuity by using my index finger as sandpaper - -the part of the finger
that  makes fingerprints. It seems that the ridges that form the fingerprints are
just  abrasive enough to do the job on a lightly-crusted damper felt!

Jesse Gitnik  NYC
Tech. since 1980