Here's one NOBODY ever heard of

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 4 13:52:42 MST 2007

And the greatest part of this little tip (below) is that no matter where you are, you always have your fingers with you!  It's not like you could forget them at home in the shop or something!  They're always right there, well, right at the ends of your arms!

  Thanks,
Tom Sivak
  Chicago

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com wrote:
      One time I was faced with the problem of some crusty treble damper felts in an upright that were causing that "zinging" sound when damping the strings. It wasn't a sever case, and the felts had to be sanded very lightly with the finest grit sandpaper out there. Being that I didn't have any, I used a bit on ingenuity by using my index finger as sandpaper - -the part of the finger that makes fingerprints. It seems that the ridges that form the fingerprints are just abrasive enough to do the job on a lightly-crusted damper felt!

  Jesse Gitnik  NYC
  Tech. since 1980