making an upright pinblock

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 12:58:00 MST 2007

I need to replace an upright pinblock and I'm looking
at the best way to come up with the block material.

Bolduc has an upright pinblock for 310.00
(Pianotek)but I'm thinking of making one to save some
$.  The block will need to be 2 1/4" by 9 1/4" by 59
1/2".  I can get a multilam flat-sawn double panel
block from PianoTek for 151.00.  That block will be 1
3/8 by 17" by 59".  Not wide enough to cut the 17"
into two blocks to be glued together.  But, I could
buy a single panel 1 3/8" or whatever thickness
delignit for 101.00 and glue them together at the
approp. thickness.

Or, I could get a piece of 8/4 or 6/4 hard maple and
glue it to the back of the multilam.  Still about $90
- 100.00 for a kiln dried board.
I  would have between 7 and  8" width left of the
multilam double  panel - not enough for another block
upright or grand.
Any of these blocks I buy will be 1/2" short of the 59
1/2 but I can take care of that.

Any better ideas?

  I do want to replace the whole block rather than
plug holes or do a cut out of the tuning pin field.
This will stiffen the whole structure which now has
big gaps between the back of the  block and the posts
and spacers.

This is a job justified by sentimental value to the
owner, but still need to keep cost down for them.

Bob Hull