voicing learning curve

ed miller edmiller3 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 14:10:41 MST 2007

Hello,

I'm looking for some voicing advice (mentoring). I'm two years into learning
the piano trade and have learned a great deal already in the realm of
tuning, regulating and repairing (though I know there's MUCH more to learn).
I've found that most skills are pretty straight foward, they just take a
little doing to get the hang of.

Voicing, on the other hand, seems to me to be the most nuanced skill of them
all. I'm a bit intimidated by it. There are so many techniques that I have
read about. I'm sure most of them have merit, but none of them mean anything
if the technician has not developed a fine ear for tonal quality and
characterstics, and the subtle changes that can be achieved by manipulating
the hammers.

I'm intereted in hearing any thoughts on how one develops this skill. I'm
less interested in specific techniques. I'm more looking for insight into
the process of learning to be a quality voicing technician. Possibly some
some stories from your own voicing learning process.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed