voicing learning curve

Lance Lafargue lafargue at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 5 16:14:41 MST 2007

One thought is to learn one hammer brand, allowing you some consistency.
Part of the problem is that one thing done to one hammer won't yield the
same results on another brand of hammer.  So, if you can that is, learn how
to voice say, Renner Blues by using Renner lit available, listening to cause
and effect, then maybe Abel, then Yamaha, etc.  I didn't believe you could
rough ballpark voice a set of new hammers without first listening to them,
but you can.  Then finish within 45 minutes.  Practice room pianos at a
University is also another great way, just go slow and stay away from the
strike point deeper than 1/16" for a while.

Sitting with an experienced voicer and talking and listening to different
sounds and causes will help.  Talking attack vs sustain, vs color, etc and
sticking needles around to discuss it.  Some of this will just take time and
that's all there is to it, like learning tuning.  Of course, go slow at
first and don't ruin anything.   Good luck.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS, LTD
LPIANOS.com
4244 Hwy 22 Mandeville, LA 70471