Two broken bass strings in one tuning?????

Mike Kurta mkurta at adelphia.net
Tue Feb 6 06:26:46 MST 2007

    Sam, in my view, there is no clear answer to string breakage.  When I
first began tuning, I dutifully applied Protek to string coils and capo and
v-bars, and found no difference in string breakage as opposed to the pianos
I didn't treat.  The same with lowering the tension first.  I've tuned old
uprights that sat on a porch for years and were nothing but a ball of rust,
and 150 cents flat, overpulled by 50 cents in one shot, and fine tuned
without breaking a single string.
    I've also seen 1 year old pianos break strings after just nudging the
string sharp.  I've now adopted the policy when junking old pianos of
purposely breaking all the strings by cranking them tighter.  Again, some
break immediately, with others I can turn the pin a full half turn before
the string breaks. This tells me that there is no rhyme or reason to string
breakage, and predicting is nearly impossible.  Slow pull vs. jerk tuning
doesn't seem to have a pattern either.
    Just my 2 cents.....
    Mike Kurta