Two broken bass strings in one tuning?????

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Tue Feb 6 07:16:15 MST 2007

Ditto in my experience.

Why weak spots in the wire develop might be an interesting study, but
we'd still be left with the fact that wires just break. ;-)

In Joel Jones' string splicing/replacement class at Rochester,  we
cranked up one string (around C5) to a fourth or fifth higher before it
broke. This was on a 20-30 year-old piano if I recall correctly.
Granted, bass strings might not take that much extra tension, but who
hasn't been on the wrong pin and found that he had inadvertently tuned a
bass string 1/2 step high. <g>

So, that class was further proof to me that "tuners don't break strings."

JF