questions, etc.

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Tue Feb 6 13:32:51 MST 2007

Ooooh, I see what you mean.  That's why I ask you folks these questions --
and you always have intriguing answers for me.  Thanks!

If I get what you're saying, the test blow can pull the wire past the bridge
pins when it's a matter of raising tension, but it can't push the wire back
the other way when lowering tension -- so the wire eventually equalizes the
tension on its own, raising the pitch again.  That makes sense.  And I have
noticed that pitch-lowered pianos are more likely to go sharp while I play
them (as part of the tuning) than pitch-raised pianos are to go flat, which
would also support your explanation.  Cool.

But these pianos are in damper-than-ideal environments, so isn't the
moisture playing a role?  Or is that not always such a culprit as I've been
led to believe?

Of course, my original question suggested there's a single-point cause, when
I know full well it's a complex system.  So nice to have so many topics of
contemplation while working.

Annie