questions, etc.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Feb 6 13:13:41 MST 2007

> 2)  Question one:  is a pitch lowering likely to be less stable than a pitch
> raise, in your experience?  I have observed that when I have to lower the
> pitch on a piano (because of environmental moisture), it's more likely to go
> back sharp again, regardless of whether I tune it once or thrice.  My
> hypothesis is that the string tension is keeping the piano from swelling as
> much as it could -- and so lowering the string tension allows/encourages the
> piano to swell more, thus raising the pitch again.  It's like taking off a
> pair of shoes that're too tight -- your feet swell up in response.  So, am I
> hallucinating?  Has anyone else noticed this?

As far as I can ascertain, pianos aren't much like feet, and
don't swell unless you get them wet. Here's what I think is
happening. Raising pitch, the speaking length has more tension
than the back scale, so when you whack it, some of that
tension difference equalizes as the test blow further raises
the string tension and pulls wire through the bridge pin
stagger. Lowering pitch, the back scale is higher tension than
the speaking length, so the test blow does nearly nothing to
equalize tensions on either side of the bridge, and the tuning
goes sharp slowly as the higher tension back scale pulls wire
out of the speaking length - raising it's tension and
therefore it's pitch.
Ron N