dealers

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 6 22:18:10 MST 2007

Hi Rick,

Is your profit margin on the pianos you're selling
greater than the 6-7,000?  Can you afford to lose his
referrals and direct work?  For me this would be an
issue that must be decided by my business plan.  In
other words, if I truly believe that part of my
success is going to come from used piano sales and the
used piano sales is of a higher value than the work
for the dealer then make that choice.
Better yet, carefully plan a conversation with the
dealer to assure him that at times you refer sales to
him and you watch out for his reputation out in the
piano customer's world, so he shouldn't seek to limit
your success. Only as long as you are successful can
you stay in business and help him in these ways.
Surely the couple of pianos a year (I'm guessing at
that number) that you sell aren't going to break him.
Like Ron N. said, it's a two way street, the dealer
and the rebuilder are naturally going to be in some
competition with each other.  Competition is just a
part of any business adventure and it doesn't have to
be a bad thing.

Bob Hull