The Piano Exploded

Stephen Grattan lostchordclinic at ameritech.net
Thu Feb 8 12:16:12 MST 2007

Speaking of exploding pianos, a customer (Church) called last week to say that their piano was fine at a practice the night before but this morning it is buzzing and the notes do not sound right.  The piano is a 45" studio Currier about 25-30 years old.  I played a few notes and decided to remove the action.  The plate surface had separated  from its frame and split all the way across the piano.  The surface of the plate was deflecting the strings from the mid treble on up by 1/2 " towards the keyboard.  .It is now in my shop - waiting to de dismantled ( or for it ot compltely blow apart) to try to determine why it came apart - besides poor engineering.  They are purchasing a Walter studio to replace it.

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic