Fixing plates - was "The Piano Exploded"

Rob Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Thu Feb 8 13:05:27 MST 2007

I have had good results using the "Lock-N'-Stitch" cast iron repair method http://www.locknstitch.com/
They sell kits with everything you need and an instructional video is available.  One of the company's owners conducted a class at a PTG national one year, (I think it was in Reno).  They specializes in cast iron repair specifically.  An engineer invented the technique for fixing engine blocks but since then the company has expanded into fixing all types of cast iron components.  The presentation showed pictures of things they have repaired ranging from huge industrial water pumps to ship propellers.  The web page is full of interesting information and examples of some of their work.

In extreme cases where it can't be feasibly fixed using their repair kit or if it's broken in multiple areas you can send a cracked plate directly to them.  In such cases one method involves placing the entire plate in an oven and heat it until it glows red.  In this state the crack is welded and then returned to the oven where it is cooled gradually over several days.  This allows the contraction of the metal to remain even and recrystalizes the metal without over-hardening.    I'm not sure what it costs but I'm betting it's quite pricey, (plus shipping).  When rebuilding old pianos and there is simply no replacement plate available your options can be extremely limited.  Cost aside it can be a lot more expensive if the repair is done wrong and it cracks all over again.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  The head of operations should have told the customer that the job couldn't be done unless the plate is replaced with a new one. Period. Take it or leave it.

  Jesse Gitnik
  NYC
  Since 1980