plate miscasting (was "Fixing Plates"

centipod at mac.com centipod at mac.com
Thu Feb 8 15:52:42 MST 2007

While we're on the subject of plates: I showed this on the Piano
Forum list, but thought I'd throw it into the mix here for more
feedback. Below is a Hamburg Model M ca. 1927 in our shop on which
(according to feedback from the Hamburg factory) the plate was
miscast "O 170" instead of (as it should read) "M 170". The factory
had apparently heard of this before. It's 5' 7" or 170 cm, so most
definitely an M.

Would the model and length designation would be a separate part of
the pattern in the moulding process? Or is a plate pattern simply two
large plate-sized pieces, top and bottom? (I don't know much about
the mechanics of plate casting). I would assume that a certain number
of plates like this one were produced before the goof was noticed and
the pattern re-carved.

I'm curious if anyone has ever seen a plate casting flaw as
fundamental as this on a NY Steinway (or any other model, for that
matter)? Imagine what the piano might be worth if it were a coin or a
stamp  : ) It's hard to imagine there would be a lot of these kinds
of plate anomalies floating around - plates seem like something so
carved in, well... iron!

Sorting out the mystery of this contradictory and confusing plate
designation has made me more curious about plate casting in general.
Any observations or insights are welcome.

Allen Wright, RPT
London, UK