plate miscasting (was "Fixing Plates"

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Feb 8 17:26:49 MST 2007

At 16:52 2/8/2007, you wrote:
>While we're on the subject of plates: I showed this on the Piano
>Forum list, but thought I'd throw it into the mix here for more
>feedback. Below is a Hamburg Model M ca. 1927 in our shop on which
>(according to feedback from the Hamburg factory) the plate was
>miscast "O 170" instead of (as it should read) "M 170". The factory
>had apparently heard of this before. It's 5' 7" or 170 cm, so most
>definitely an M.
>
>Would the model and length designation would be a separate part of
>the pattern in the moulding process? Or is a plate pattern simply
>two large plate-sized pieces, top and bottom? (I don't know much
>about the mechanics of plate casting). I would assume that a certain
>number of plates like this one were produced before the goof was
>noticed and the pattern re-carved.
>
>I'm curious if anyone has ever seen a plate casting flaw as
>fundamental as this on a NY Steinway (or any other model, for that
>matter)? Imagine what the piano might be worth if it were a coin or
>a stamp  : ) It's hard to imagine there would be a lot of these
>kinds of plate anomalies floating around - plates seem like
>something so carved in, well... iron!
>
>Sorting out the mystery of this contradictory and confusing plate
>designation has made me more curious about plate casting in general.
>Any observations or insights are welcome.
>
>Allen Wright, RPT
>London, UK

I'll check for the exact configuration tomorrow when I get to school,
but I think we have one of these Hamburgers here.  It has "O" 170 in
the triangle, but i think that it also has an "M" cast into the plate
at the horn.(pointy end)

Yes, 170cm is the size.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;