question and question about archives

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 10:12:56 MST 2007

Steve,
My understanding is that while this is a "tried and true" method for
many older American pianos (specifically highly recommended by
Baldwin), the Korean center pins seem to be plated, and the plating
wears on the wool fibers, maybe even reacts with chemicals in the
felt, and crud and micro-chips put the brakes on the moving parts.
Reaming these bushings removes the crud (and, with burnishing, sizes
the bushing for the next higher size of center pin), and hopefully the
techncian uses high quality center pins for the repair.
Patrick Draine