temp change=how much pitch change?

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Sat Feb 10 20:26:25 MST 2007

Regarding primarily large concert pianos, does anyone have data on how
much the pitch changes with temperature fluctuations?

This is a question I'll no doubt answer in time as I get more experience
servicing concert grands. But I regularly service only one Steinway D,
and I haven't worked with it long enough to know how it reacts to
temperature changes. It has a DC system, though, which keeps it very
close - as long as it's plugged in and in its storage area.

Scenario:
Yesterday, piano was -2¢, so it was tuned to A440 in one pass since I
was coming back today to check it again. Temp was 67.6°F, and RH was 26%.

Today, piano was about 3-4¢ flat (a little more in low tenor). Temp was
72.9°, with the humidity at 25%. So I'm seeing the most likely cause of
the change in pitch is the thermostat (and body heat from the orchestra
as well). OK, I think I understand all the whys behind the changes, but
I had no idea that 5° would make that much difference. After talking
with a piano tech friend of mine who routinely takes care of several
D's, he confirmed that these pianos are indeed that sensitive to the
temp change.

For future reference, does anyone have data on how much change happens
with temperature fluctuations like this? I could say, based on my first
non-scientific collection of observation data, that it changes about
3-4¢ for every 5° of temperature increase. <g>  Is that about right
generally?

What do you guys do? Do you not worry about where the temperature is? If
you think it will be different at performance time, do you set the pitch
accordingly, and hope it changes in your favor? Or do you simply tune it
to A440 and don't worry about it?

Another thing that's frustrating is that I tuned it yesterday with the
stage lights on, so as to minimize the pitch change that comes from
lights. But today, it was back in the little storage room and the stage
is set up for the orchestra. Apparently, the piano is coming out after
intermission. ?? I didn't look at a program, so I dunno. But anyway, it
kind of stinks because today the unisons were all wobbly anyway - no
telling what happened when the lights hit it tonight. Oh well, at least
I have one thing in my favor: most people aren't as sensitive to pitch
as tuners are, so I'm sure I'm overreacting to what was probably a very
minor issue, if noticed at all. <g>

Thanks for any help with this.

JF