Ronsen Bacon felt

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Feb 11 04:10:08 MST 2007

I had figured that I would have to beef up Bacons for a D.  I havent
worked with lacquer for some years and have learned a lot about voicing
in general from a needling standpoint since then. So  it might be
interesting to try.  But I'm open to other suggestions as well. I
suppose I could find a piano that better fits into the scheme of low
tension / lighter panel.  That said,  the Wurzens I get are quite on the
border in this same sense.  The high treble and low bass benifit from
needling to open up a bit... and then respond really nicely to a bit of
hardener.  Collodium  is what I use in those instances.

One other thought... tho I dont know the exact specs of New Yorks visa
vi Hamburgs concerning soundboards... but one thing I hear time and time
again, and fits well with my own experience, is that Hamburgs in general
require a softer hammer then New Yorks.

Cheers
RicB

    Just my two cents but I don't think the Bacon felt hammers are
    appropriate
    for a Steinway D.  High tension scale, thicker panel with heavier
    ribbing
    probably calls for a stiffer hammer than you would typically find with a
    Bacon felt hammer--I presume you don't want to lacquer it.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net
    www.davidlovepianos.com

    Snip...

    You get me a set of Bacons for meant for a
    Steinway D, and I will send you a set of Renner double grade Wurzens
    meant for a Hamburg D.

    Its an open offer whenever / if ever you get the urge.

    Cheers
    RicB