temp change=how much pitch change?

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 11 10:02:48 MST 2007

Patrick,
In the Steinway & Sons Technical Services Division Guidelines for
Institutional Piano Service you will find the following in Steinway
Guidelines G. Green pg. 2 under section heading 2. Piano Services and
a) Tuning and Overlook:
         "... Concert Instruments should be tuned  to A-441 to more
easily address requests for pitch changes. ..."
By concert instruments I would assume they mean B's or D's.  A lot of
roving orchestras, bands and even occasionally, soloists require this
on their contracts.  When asked about this they usually comment on it
as a matter of self-defence against pianos that end up under A4=440hz
during concert conditions.

As Guy Nichols noted, concert conditions usually don't mirror tuning
conditions.  One of my venues is now well trained.  The D is on stage
where it will be with full concert lighting two hours before I am
scheduled to arrive to tune and prep it.  That is the
exception.  They have agreed to keep it a 441 and I think the only
ones who get cross-eyed are vocalists.  Even then the hall is cooler
than it will be when it is packed full of enthusiastic audience.  I
haven't bothered to check pitch on the piano during intermissions
like Guy did to document pitch-drop in the halls he serviced.  No-one
has had any complaints or requests for me on the pianos I service.
(With the exception of a D born defective and sold to one venue here
with the strings out-of-reach of action adjustments.  The Steinway
tech. had broken off some drop screws attempting to raise drop above
1/4" and failed to mention anything to the university.  That warranty
saga continues still without any end in sight other than a gift of
action shims!)

Gave me pause when I first saw it too.  Makes sense to me after consideration.

Andrew Anderson