temp change=how much pitch change?

John Dutton duttonjw at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 20:50:32 MST 2007

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2004-October/161045.html

[quote]
>Spot light on ice, hey?  Whew!  Guy Nichols has studied stuff like this a
>lot and *might* have a formula for you to help figure stability.........
>
>Barbara Richmond, RPT

Gosh, Barbara.... Thanks!

Really. Ice? That's when you get water (assuming you have water) to freeze,
right? Thought so. Yeah, I've seen it before, but... it's never EVER been
something I've had the opportunity or desire to study. <G>  Sorry, no words
of experience or wisdom to impart for this one. If it's a solo concert,
then.... why worry? Float the pitch, maybe, 'cause you're sure not gonna be
able to predict the change. I imagine that the spotlight might have a little
less of an effect due to the severity of the ambient temp, but... whew...
too hard to guess.  Just remember, it's the strings.  Not much else matters.
So... if you're really concerned, pre-light (20 minutes) or keep shaded.
Either method will slow down the changes during play. I guess audience BTUs
won't have much impact! Good luck!

Regards,
Guy
Ft. Stinkin' Desert (where there be no ice)

P.S. BTW the "formula" is basically .8=A2 per degree F.  Many other factors,
of course. Special thanks to Don Gilmore.
[/quote]