Best American uprights EVER built

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 12 12:06:14 MST 2007

>From: Jon Page
>
>Rippen comes to mind too.

Not all Rippens are so bad. The higher models like the Concerto are okay.
But I saw many Rippens which are just not tunable (or playable). I refer to
the small Dutch models which are from the 60´s-70´s or so.

Also on the negative side: Baldwin and Kimbal. But I did not see many of
them.
On the positive side: the momentarily best uprights pianos in my clientele
are a new Steinway K and a Bösendorfer concert piano, don´t know the exact
model name. It´s a joy to tune them. Funny story with that Bösendorfer: the
customer had another tuner 2 years ago and told him on the phone, that it´s
very loud and if there is a possibility to get it less loud. The tuner came,
but the customer was not at home, so he could not communicate directly to
the tech. He returned home in the evening and it turned out that the tech
voiced the complete piano to get it less loud, but it sounded horrible to
the customer. He was really angry. He plays very very much, so the voicing
is to the point where it used to be after 2 years of intenxive playing. One
says that voicing is good for 1.000 to 2.000 blows or so.

Just returned today from a Feurich upright from 1922 in a very fine
condition. Super piano. Interessting: there is a second spring to bring the
jack in the basic position again. It´s above the jack and touchs the upper
side of the jack.

Are the Wendl & Lung available in the USA?

Gregor