Best American uprights EVER built

William Morton wjmwjm at asisna.com
Mon Feb 12 12:37:56 MST 2007

On 12, Feb 2007, , at 11:06, Gregor _ wrote:

>> From: Jon Page
>>
>> Rippen comes to mind too.
>
> Not all Rippens are so bad. The higher models like the Concerto are
> okay. But I saw many Rippens which are just not tunable (or
> playable). I refer to the small Dutch models which are from the 60
> ´s-70´s or so.

I have a Rippen Grand, with the aluminum case.   It was purchased
about 30 years
ago, new.  I've not had any problems with it and have had several
tuners over the years,
none of which had anything negative to say about it.  I don't know
the Model name (e.g., Concerto).
The piano has been well-cared for; tuned every 6 months, regulated
twice in its life, and a
fairly major rehab done about 8-10 years ago, but it still has its
original hammers, action,
and all but one of the original strings.  I've been happy with it.

I've heard on this board several times that Rippens are awful, but
never any information
as to WHY they are awful.  What is it about Rippens that makes them bad?

Bill