Best American uprights EVER built

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 14:08:31 MST 2007

Bill,
All the Rippens (thankfully very few) that I've encountered had keys
with a kind of plastic hinge at the balance point where the usual
piano has, well, the usual balance rail pin, bushings, etc. I forget
how many other plastic parts there were in these pianos.
Much like the infamous Betsy Ross Lester spinets' crumbling plastic
elbows, this plastic is usually in an advanced state of deterioration
(crumbling & falling apart) when the average US technician approaches
the instrument. The last time I looked, a more traditional retrofit
seemed prohibitively expensive, and parts have been unavailable for a
long time.
I'm glad to hear you have had no troubles with your Rippen.
Patrick Draine