Paid for Pitch Raises?

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 12 12:23:43 MST 2007

I don´t agree. In my (former) life as aural tuner it took me 1.5 to 2 hours
to tune a piano. If a pitch raise has to be done, it takes 2 passes and
still takes 1,5 to 2 hours. Of course, the result will be not so fine so
that the piano has to be retuned after a few weeks (I talk about heavy PR of
25 cents and more). Of course the retuning is paid again.

Now, in my new life as ETD tuner, things changed: I tune nearly every piano
in 2 passes. The reason is: the ETD gives absolute pitch, aural tunings do
not. If I raise 5 cents, that string becomes lower during tuning. But as
aural tuner I react to that, so that the octave may be perfect, but a little
bit lower than absolute pitch. The result is a piano which might be 2 cents
flat, but that´s the reason why I come back in a few weeks. And: who cares
about 2 cents if it´s NOT a concert tuning.

When the strategy is to tune every piano twice if pitch is 2 to 5 cents
flat, then one should not charge for the 2 passes. And: I always charge an
allowance, and here in my hometown every tech does it. I can´t tell the
customer: the price depends on how long I tune. If I did so, all the
customers would call the other techs with a flat rate.

Gregor