Speaking of working for dealers. . .

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Feb 12 14:16:11 MST 2007

****comments interspersed.....
On Feb 12, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Richard Morgan wrote:

> I have an opportunity (?)
Yes. a tremendous opportunity IF you're ready for it, and IF the
dealer is not a weasel---a human being that you instinctively know----
just KNOW---you'd never be close to,  or even trust.
DO NOT make a deal with the devil----do not work with people that
make your stomach clench.
My homeboy, Warren Buffett (from my hometown, friend of my mother
since childhood) took that last statement as his absolute code and
mission statement---"do not work with people that make your stomach
clench---" and used it to make himself 40 billion dollars and his
shareholders about a trillion dollars.  For real.

> to work for a new dealer, and would appreciate some advice.  I was
> asked by the dealer to submit a bid "on cost [to] me on floor
> tuning, pitch raise, complimentary tuning & pitch raise."
This really tells you all you need to know.  This guy doesn't even
bring up anything more than tuning? Ewww. Unless you're truly a raw
newbie, I'd pass---but that's just me. If you are, and you need to
spend a year getting a thousand tunings under your belt, fine.  Get
some help from a respected piano technician in your area to set your
prices properly. DON'T DO THIS ALONE.

> Shouldn't I should also include ideas on prepping the pianos?  I'm
> still a newbie, with a small but growing clientele, and would like
> to have the experience this kind of work can bring.
Sure. Bring it up, and specifically talk about what you've heard
other, more experienced techs talk about when they refer to prep---
bedding keyframe, regulation, hammer mating, voicing---and see what
he says. It'll be revealing.

> If you are willing to share your ideas, you may email me off the
> list.  I would really appreciate the opportunity to dialogue (my
> wife wouldn't like that word!!) on specifics.
Call me, then.

> Thanks,
> Richard Morgan
> richard.morgan at yahoo.com