Paid for Pitch Raises?

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Mon Feb 12 16:33:18 MST 2007

Paid for Pitch Raises?I'm with you Jon.
Most of my customers, are in rural areas. They have the piano tuned every ten years, if that.
Reason is, that is all they can afford.
A lot of times it is an old piano, and it is debatable, if it could take the overpull. So I do a single pass, if it is say 25c or less out.
I tell them, that in a concert situation, it would require maybe two more tunings.
I then say that it should be tuned in 2-3 months, as long as the heat is still on, (I don't do tunings in the summer, as they have no chance of staying, due to humidity changes)or in a years time.
Most of these people, would not have me tune for them, if I insisted that it required an extra charge for a pitch raise.
Going by the criteria, that most people on the list seem to use, I would have to charge each time for a pitch raise.
I haven't advertised for years, and am kept as busy as I want to be.

So I guess the point I am trying to make is, use your clientele, to determine the approach you should make.

I tune for a local university school of music, 18 years and still going. I also  do warranty tunings for the province's, only Yamaha dealer. Obviously these customers, along with some music teachers, do require the extra tuning. Although you would be surprised at the number of piano teachers, who are not interested in a pitch raise, if it is at an extra charge.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca