Paid for Pitch Raises?

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Feb 12 21:41:25 MST 2007

comments interspersed, with all due respect and collegiality:

On Feb 12, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Norma Neufeld wrote:
> David,  Avery,
>
> With all due respect, I think it's a little different for those of
> us who have been in the business only a few years.
You mean you should get less respect, and do work for a client for
free, just because you've been in business 5 or 6 years instead of 20
or 25?

> We're trying to build clientele and gain experience.  I have done
> many pitch raises and other work for less money than I should have
> received, but in return I gain clients,
Sorry, but when you train clients to underpay you and to expect
things for free, they just don't respect you in the same way they
would if you valued your time as a professional in any other field
would....do you underpay or get freebies from the other service
people you deal with, including lawyers, doctors, accountants,
mechanics, based on how long they've been in business?

> knowledge and the opportunity to polish my skills.
True. But you pay a bigger price than I think you have to.

>   I will never let myself be taken advantage of
Good. I like the sound of that.

> but being demanding as a rookie, either with dealers or clients
> will get you no where.
Depends on what you mean by demanding.  Strength, clarity in
communicating, and confidence in valuing yourself are pretty
attractive qualities...perhaps a weasel would see that as demanding,
if it meant they'd have to pay you more money, but not a good person.

> Doing the odd thing for free is really not so bad when you look at
> it in this light,
I respectfully disagree.
>   and not all dealers are pond scum.....they're just people too.
Absolutely. I have many good friends, people that I love, respect,
and trust, that are piano dealers.  I'm a piano dealer.
Come on.  I didn't say all dealers are scum; just some. And they are.

> "It's a give and take world"......"You reap what you
> sow"....Clichés perhaps, but true none the less.  I just happen to
> be in the giving and sewing mode at the moment,  the taking and
> reaping will come later.
The trick, my dear, is to do both at the same time.

> Best regards,
> Norma Neufeld
> Saskatoon, SK

hope this helps....DAVID ANDERSEN