Paid for Pitch Raises?

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 01:12:06 MST 2007

Gregor wrote:
>>When the strategy is to tune every piano twice if pitch is 2 to 5 cents
>>flat, then one should not charge for the 2 passes.

Avery asked:
>Why?

Because it´s a standard procedure. Why charge extra for standard? I charge a
flat rate and calculate with a given time (1.5 hours plus/minus). The
customer does not care what happens within that time. If I need more time:
bad luck for me. If I get it within time or even less: luck for me. If pitch
raise is needed: I probably need more time, but I am still within that
plus/minus window.

As to customers who don´t call again 4 weeks after a pitch raise: whose
fault is it that the piano wasn´t tuned for a long time? The customer saved
money for a couple of years, so he can/should/must pay twice within 4 weeks
if he want´s 440 Hz. When a pitch raise is above 4-5 Hz a retuning after 4
weeks is needed. I am not very motivated to do a perfect tuning on the first
date because I know that it will get out of tune within days/weeks,
particularly when the raise is e.g. 10 Hz.

When the customer learns that only a periodical tuning makes shure that the
piano is on 440 Hz on the long run and furthermore makes shure that the
tunings are stable, then I call that success. That´s part of my "customer
re-education boot camp programm". (just joking)

Gregor