Paid for Pitch Raises?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Feb 13 09:07:10 MST 2007

I usually stay out of this kind of discussion because we get them so
often.... endless rehash of whether or not one should take extra for
pitch raises, grand pianos vs uprights, etc etc ad absurdum.  But Terry
sides with Norma here on a point I think is really important and even
the best of us should always keep a healthy chunck of in our back left
pockets. (grin.. the right one is reserved for money).

Namely.... investement in ones own education/experience is worth doing a
good deal of extra work with out direct monetary compensation.  Mistake
me not however.... you definitely want to keep your customers on their
toes... it doesnt do to let folks get the idea they can exploit you.
But learning something through experience is a reward as well... and
every bit as important a one as money.

Just my two cents

RicB

    Norma - you have a fabulous attitude! I agree with David pretty much
    all the way, but there are so many different situations. And truly -
    David with years and tons of piano experience and living in southern
    CA, and you with a few years experience living in, geezzzz, tundra
    comes first to mind - but likely not anymore with global warming -
    anyway a different piano and cultural setting for sure. With that
    being said, I suspect what you describe may well demand some
    alternative thinking. I guess the bottom line is if you are happy
    and your customers are happy - well, then, what could be wrong with
    that?

    Terry Farrell