tech or dealer?

Rob Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Tue Feb 13 11:03:25 MST 2007

> many of the members of this list seem to be only techs and some of you
> work for dealers (and get paid for it or not).  Is it usual in the USA to
> be a tech who sells pianos? I mean a one-man-company with field service
> and dealership of new or/and used instruments? Most of my German
> self-employed colleagues have a little shop which is opened only 2 or 3
> days a week. Or after 5 pm or so. The rest of the week they go tuning.
> That´s what I will do in October this year.
>
> Gregor

Congratulations on opening a store, I wish you the best of luck.  I speak
with experience when I say that owning/operating a business is no picnic.
The investment is scary and operating costs are phenomenal.  You are lucky
to show any profit at all during the first several years and your have to
find a way to eat in the meantime.  12 hour days, 6 and or even 7 days a
week are not uncommon.  Nevertheless there is nothing quite like the being
your own boss and the personal rewards can be quite gratifying.

A word about techs interested in selling pianos for a dealer...

I personally have developed an interest in that area,  I will remain a
technician/rebuilder but I have been moving toward diversifying.  Selling is
a completely different profession.  Most experienced sales people have sold
other things besides pianos over the years and for whatever reason happened
to land in music stores.  Piano technicians can become outstanding piano
sales people, however, because it is a good cross-over profession.  If you
have a genuine interest in this area the first step is to approach the
owners of a local dealer for whom you respect, preferably one you have
already been working with as a technician.  Take them to lunch and explain
your interest.  You will never go anywhere if you work with a dealer you
don't like.  There will otherwise always be a degree of friction that will
hinder your performance and enthusiasm.

Do everything you can to learn the sales trade.  This includes attending
NAMM shows, going to sales seminars, attending meetings when manufacture
reps visit the store and get to know them.  Ask them as many questions as
you can think of.  Absolutely at any cost attend piano manufacturer sales
programs.  Most major brands have their own annual sales schools that last a
week or so that dealer staff can attend.  While much of the information they
provide is proprietary to their particular brand, there are also universal
sales techniques that can be applied to any piano.  Sit in a corner of the
store and observe how the other sales people work for a day or two.  Do
everything you can not only to learn your store's products from top to
bottom, but also your competitors.  You will confront shoppers who have
already visited another store and will ask how your products compare.  You
had better know everything about the other store's products if you want to
convince them that yours is better.  This includes digitals.  Attend your
own store's sales meetings.  It may take a while to earn the owner's trust
so don't expect them to share a lot of inside information at first.  You
need to prove to them that you are serious about selling, making them money,
and will be loyal to keeping operations information private.

Learn the proper language.  You are not "pitching", you are "presenting".
You don't have "customers", you have "shoppers" or "guests".  You are
"assisting" them, not "selling" to them.  There are three primary elements
to selling that you must learn front to back; qualifying, rejections, and
closing.  On average you will only sell one piano for every 8-10 serious
shoppers so don't be discouraged.  You must become the shopper's friend and
assure them you have their best interest in mind.  Make it an educational
experience and you are the teacher.  Don't get "over technical" unless they
ask a lot of technical questions.  Don't sit and play every piano in the
store and talk about how nice it sounds.  You can not "play" your way
through a sale.  One experienced and respected third generation sales person
I talked with described the shopper-seller relationship as "giving a little
bit of your soul away to every prospective buyer".  DO NOT EVER bash your
competitor.  This is a big turn-off.  If the shopper already visited your
competitor who has now become their new "friend", (assuming their sales
person did their job properly), you are attacking their friend.  Stick to
comparing product.   Don't take them to the cheapest piano in the store and
try to sell up.  Take them to the expensive pianos first and then sell down,
(if you must).  Emphasize service and warranty, something many sales people
foolishly fail to mention.  Be careful not to make promises that can't be
kept.  Arrange for delivery as soon as possible.  Finally, get over the
"guilt" complex of selling.  The shopper came to YOU to buy something.  They
will leave happy with an invoice in their hand and the knowledge that they
purchased a good piano.  Selling can be an honest and respectful profession
if done correctly.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV