tech or dealer?

Carlos Ralon ceralon at comcast.net
Tue Feb 13 20:07:28 MST 2007

Rob Goodale knows from what he speaks.  I had 3 retail full line stores for
over 30 years, while also being an RPT. As a  PTG and MAMM member I
sometimes could develop an ethics question when I sold a piano that was
below standard.  But I did try hard to get the client to buy the best they
could afford.  Over the years we sold many brands including Yamaha, Sohmer,
Walter, and Kimball.  I think one thing a PTG technician who is a dealer
must do, that a big store may not be able to do. That is to prep every piano
sold the best it can be befor it leaves your store.  This goes for the low
end pianos as well.   For this very reason you may find that the small
RPT/retailer may be less profitable than the big guys.
I am no longer a retailer but I now wake up each morning with no stress,
worrying about sales, employees, or retail store expense.  And I will
celebrate this year my 50th year as a guild RPT.   But, if sales floats your
boat, do go for it.  I've got my boat. It's a Liberty Ship.
Carlos K. Ralon, RPT