Yamaha U3 acoustics/strings quality

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Wed Feb 14 20:21:08 MST 2007

Greetings,

        Is it just my Yamaha U3, and the one I saw at a dealre showroom or is
it just me, but these pianos sound on the twangy side compared to even the
little P22?   Is it the strings that are making these pianos sound this way? I
read in Larry Fine's book that strings only last about 25 years and then should
be replaced. While I understand that the 25 yr figure is probably based on a
fussy ear's wanting them to be replaced, in all practicality strings have been
on pianos without owner's complaints for way longer and I never hear any
complaints.

         I wonder if replacing the strings on the U3 with better strings
would remedy the twangyness. Is there a difference between the string quality of a
U3's strings as compared to the other models' strings in ohter Yamaha piano
models?

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA