ET WT Mr. T I don't know :)

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 15 07:19:29 MST 2007

Marshal

  Forgive me...I hope this isn't too harsh, but...

  You wonder why no one answers a post like this?  There are so many errors in what you've written, grammatical, spelling, musical, that it's difficult to take you or your question seriously.

  First of all the word is "temperament", not "temperment".

  It's a "Broadwood" temperament, not "Broadview".  Broadview is a suburb just to the east of us.

  They're "pivotal" thirds, not "pivital"..

  And most egregious of all, D4 to B3 is a minor third, not a fourth.

  Now, most of this comes down to poor English and writing skills, but you have to be able to identify a third from a fourth if you wish to be a piano tuner some day.  (Tune all your m3rds to beat once per second and you're going to have an ugly sounding piano!)

  To address your question, I think that everyone has their own progression beyond the intial first couple of steps.  I personally start with the A3-A4 octave, check it with the F3 third/tenth for accuracy.  I tune F3 to where I think it should be, and then I tune F4 and check it with C# third/tenth.  Then I set my "ladder of thirds", F4-C#4, C#4-A3 for a smooth progression of beat rates.  Then I tune D4 to A3/A4; G3 from D4; C4 from G3.  Now I can check the F3-C4 fifth to make sure that F3 is really where it ought to be.  Once that's confirmed, it's off and running and I continue tuning 5ths and 4ths, checking and doublechecking until it's close enough for jazz.  (OK, you jazzers out there, it's just an expression.)

  I hope that helps.  Good luck.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

  P.S.
  I tried the "Spell Check" on your post (below) and it caught all your spelling errors.   Your email program should have one, too.  It's a wonderful tool that all of us use to help create the illusion that we had some edge-you-katin' somewhere along the way!

pianotune05 at comcast.net wrote:
    Hi Everyone,
  Speaking of temperments, what routine do you use?  I heard it said, "It doesn't matter how we get there as long as we wind up at the same place." Is this the case or not?  I'm still curious what the sequence is for this Broadview temperment.  Has anyone hard of a temperment where after setting your pivital thirds as they are called, you start with d4b3 fourth, then down a third up a fourth down a third etc?  Also how many ET's formulas exist today?  I'm curious.  Have a good one.
  Marshal
  ps. this is the end of the  e-mail, no attachments!  Yeah!!!