Weird Lester Action (horizontal jack)

kurt a baxter a440 at juno.com
Thu Feb 15 09:24:36 MST 2007

I recently took on a partial restoration of a
Lester console with a very strange action.
A direct blow, super compact type with the
jacks working horizontally, being pulled back
by surprisingly long bridle straps. The hammers
have shaped tails that are caught by diminutive
yet distinctly grand-like backchecks.

I have only come across one other action of this
type, also in a lester and I would love to know the
story behind this idea. Any one have any experience?
Also, does anyone make replacement parts?

[k]urt

Canandaigua NY

-