Is calculus ever used in scale design?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Feb 15 09:19:08 MST 2007

My take on this, Julia, would be that calculus *is* used in scale
design.  Within the models that are used to derived equations, certain
assumptions ( that a value is a constant or there are negligible
interrelationships of different values for instance) are made that
reduce the calculus into a discrete formula that can be more easily used.

What may increase the accuracy, as you suggest might be the benefit of
using calculus, might be to more realistically develop the model and the
assumptions inherent in it.  For example, I'm not sure that we have
accurate models of string vibration, given the effects of at least one
end point moving in space and time relative to the influence of the
vibration (forcing function) other strings, the bridge, soundboard,
etc.  Similary I'm not sure that we have accurate models of the effects
of the non-speaking lengths of the string on the speaking-length
vibration.  And these two models influence each other.  This gets just
way to complicated.

Probably, if we had such models, we would be too confused mathematically
to get a handle on solving it.  It would be fun to try, and it would be
nice to be smart and rich enough to undertake such endeavors.

Just my late-night thoughts.

Mark Ultsch, RPT