Removing old soundboard intact

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 11:11:34 MST 2007

At 6:16 pm +0100 15/2/07, StŽphane Collin wrote:

>...Soaking with wet rags (water + vinegar and soap) possibly covered
>with aluminium folies, so the humidity stays high at the joint.
>After less than one hour, you can already try to put some weight on
>the perimeter (I simply stand on the board with one foot...
>
>Maybe there is an even better way, and I will be glad to hear about it.

Alcohol (meths, denatured alcohol) will break the joint in a few
moments provided traditional glue has been used.  I use alcohol to
remove sides, wrestplanks, half-tops or what have you.  The alcohol
finds its way very quickly into the glue line and a pleasing crack is
heard as it does its work.  As the joint opens, feed in more alcohol
with a syringe or eye-dropper, apply a little pressure and wait for
the next cracking sound.  In the case of a soundboard, I would start,
say, in the middle of the bent side.  With the piano the right way
up, stand a length of 2x4 under the soundboard against the rim so
that it is supporting the weight of the piano.  Then feed alcohol
down between the rim and the edger of the soundboard for 8" or so
either side of the point where the prop is bearing up aginst the
board.  Once this first bit begins to open up, the rest of the job
will proceed more quickly.  For later parts of the job it will be
more convenient to have the piano on its side or upside-down.

JD