etd's and ears

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Thu Feb 15 13:47:49 MST 2007

[Feeling akin to the puppy that blunders into No Man's Land (while the movie
audience weeps, of course <g>)....]

Something I've been thinking about lately: when using an ETD, I tune from
one end of the piano to the other, but when I tune aurally, I start in the
middle and work out.  There's no reason not to tune middle-out with an ETD,
as far as I know, but I haven't.  (I use a Cybertuner.)

So, at least two questions:
*  is the sequence of tuning part of the differences between ears and ETDs?
*  does anyone do middle-out with an ETD as a matter of course?

In light of the recent discussion of how the piano reacts to the changing
stresses of tuning, it seems as though a bottom-top sequence would certainly
torque things around quite differently than middle-out.

Another question related to stress:  strip muting the piano and tuning one
string for all notes before pulling in the unisons vs. tuning all strings in
sequence........

Thanks, as always!

Annie Grieshop