Steinway dampers

Avery avery1 at houston.rr.com
Thu Feb 15 14:27:35 MST 2007

List,

I saw something this past weekend that I didn't know Steinway did. I
had to remove a damper on Ab2 on one of our D's to see what was
causing a ringing problem. Long story short, I had to replace the
felt because of a ridge inside the tricord which was preventing it
from seating well.

Anyway, my question is why does Steinway have 2 short felts on one
end of the head but only one on the other? There's room for two! This
was a full length damper head. I've seen the 4 short felts before
instead of two longer ones, but never 2 and 1!

Just curious.

Avery Todd
University of Houston