Chickering Grand

Kenneth Jankura kenrpt at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 15 20:29:33 MST 2007

My first or second attempt at rebuilding was a Chickering Quarter
grand from that era (before 1910).
Shortly afterward, I remember Wally Brooks saying in a rebuilding
class, something like, "I hope one of your first rebuilding jobs
isn't a Chickering Quarter grand, those things are awful to figure out."
It had a one-piece block (yippee), but the block was stepped (boo),
against the flange. Why, I'll never know.
I made a template and used a router at the depth of the step after
the block was cut and somewhat fit, and it turned out to be at least
twice as much or more work, but doable.
Oh, and the block was bolted from underneath, allow for more time.
The flanges were all brass. APSCO, at the time, had new brass wip
flanges for sale, so that was easy. Not anymore.
I think I used S&S shanks and flanges, I still have the set of flanges.
But I had to reuse the hammer flanges, oh well. The drop screws were
kinda loose in the flange, and I think I used gasket cement on the
screw to keep it from rotating with time and vibration (they were
longer than normal drop screws if I remember correctly, so
irreplaceable).
The board had only 4 or 5 ribs. I Spurlock-style shimmed it.
The hammers were attached at the rail at an odd angle in the bass and
tenor sections to accomodate for the narrow case, consequently much
'head scratchin' was  necessary to figure hammer bore and tail
shaping and so forth (compound angles, yikes!).  (Way back, when I
was doing construction work, a mentor once said "A certain amount of
standin' and lookin' goes with a job like this." I've adopted it as
my life motto.)
This piano at least had normal dampers. Many from that era did not.
The action was difficult to regulate (memory oh memory where have you
gone!) for rep lever spring tension and hammer clearance.
 From what I have heard, every year through that period, Jonas
Chickering came up with a better mouse trap, so you never know what
wonderful surprises await you.
Just be forewarned, even if not properly forearmed.
I hope this helps.
By the way, I tune this piano once a year or so and still absolutely
adore it.
I sold it too cheaply for what it sounds like.
I didn't particularly like it when I was finished, until I heard the
customer play it while I sat 15 feet away on the couch.
I almost wept with the beauty of the sound.
And it is one of the sleekest, sexiest pianos ever.
Aw, maybe I just get too close to my work....

Ken Jankura RPT
Newville PA