etd's and ears

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Feb 16 00:14:14 MST 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 8:25 PM, Leslie Bartlett wrote:

> Whattaya think?????????????????????????  I wonder who made you
> god.........  Wow.  There is a vast difference in confidence and
> arrogance,  the realization that in all things human, humans will
> prove themselves fallible.

My point is, Les, that I am, have been, and continue to be completely
fallible, and hopefully more and more confident and less and less
arrogant.  I have made every single mistake that it's possible for a
piano technician to make; I've failed in every realm of this
business, usually many times, and I've got regrets, and skeletons in
the closet. What I do have, and have had for quite a while, is  a
super-high standard for myself in this work, because I know how lazy
and unfocused I can be; I know how my mind can make excuses and
rationalizations for why I shouldn't give my best, shouldn't BE
excellent all the time. I know, by my teaching and mentoring
experiences, and being in close relationship & friendship with many
other craftsmen and women, that I'm not alone in this struggle, and
that I need help in staying excellent---sometimes I need to be strong
with myself and other people, and I was directing that strength to
the notion that something that's "acceptable" or even "more than
acceptable" is the bar we want to set for ourselves as respected,
honored professionals.

I hope you understand my  point more clearly now....

David Andersen